Strange Days

So this is a weird time, right?

We can all agree on that? That this is weird?

I think it’s weird.

I’ve been following ol’ Rona since early February (risk management for an international missions organization has me running down all sorts of things), so the idea of a novel coronavirus is somewhat normal to me at this point. I understand (as best a laymen with a degree in biology (which was last used 7 years ago) can) the transmission patterns, how it moves, the most vulnerable, etc. I’ve consumed pages and pages of World Health Organization, Center for Disease Control, and 4 different governments’ worth of info on the subject.

It became, in fact, somewhat of a simple and boring topic to me. It was in China. Maybe Taiwan and Japan. But nowhere near us specifically. It, like most things that happen around the world, didn’t affect us here at home.

Until one day it did.

I think I first really noticed the shift in our humble city of Gainesville while in our Wal-Mart Supercenter. Wal-Mart, as many of you know, is something of a crazy experience on the most average day. But on this day it was something else entirely. I kinda expected it to be chaotic and insane, I had seen the runs made on toilet paper and eggs in the news, but what I found was actually very different.

For the first time in my life, I walked into a Wal-Mart that was quiet. It was either late morning or early afternoon (peak Wal-Mart) and it was quiet. The music was down low. People were keeping their distance and eyeing each other suspiciously. The vibe was downright eerie. It was as if everyone suddenly came aware to the fact that a global pandemic included the United States. It wasn’t just a venue for funny memes (which I think are still funny) or something happening in California or New York (which is where things always seem to happen).

On that same trip, I also noticed a shift in myself. When a guy was coughing down the aisle, I found myself holding my breath. If someone was getting too close, I turned the other way. I began analyzing and identifying those that could seem the sickest. Changing my standard grocery route through the aisles to avoid certain people. Normally I could talk to a wall and would strike up a conversation with anyone, but now they felt more like enemy combatants that should be held at a distance of 6-12 feet.

In all of this, I also noticed something else. Anxiety. A big ol’ glob of it. Every news headline, every address from Trump, every armchair virologist’s commentary on Facebook and anything in-between was suddenly gospel truth. I probably needed a mask and gloves, right? A bio-bubble? To have a gallon of bleach to pour in front of me as I walk? Plywood on the windows?

I would briefly lose myself in fear. Get light-headed and obsess over whatever I found online. Believe that isolation was the only way. I had not only entered into a mindset of fear, I was drowning in it. I, of course, couldn’t identify this on my own. Ashley pointed it out to me, and I realized just how ridiculous I was being. I had abandoned everything I knew, believed, and held true for fear masquerading as something else.

Fear is slippery. It can look like so many things. For instance, fear can look a lot like wisdom. Fear can look like panic. Fear can look like sarcasm. Fear can look like judgment. Fear can look righteous. Fear can look… well… right.

I’m almost daily trying to walk this out. Having to process my feelings a good bit and make sure I’m not back in the same spot. It can be hard.

I would venture to say some of y’all are having a hard time with this as well. At least from what I’m seeing on Facebook. But there's also a lot of rational reasons to be afraid. People are dying, people are getting sick, people are isolated. There's a lot of uncertainty about the future.

It's not that fear itself is bad. It's just an emotion, it informs you and tells you where you are. It's when you set fear as your compass in life that it becomes terrible. Listening to whatever fear tells you to do.

Ya know what, though? There’s hope. Not hokey, cheesy, put it in a Sunday School coloring sheet hope. Real, legitimate hope.

Do you see the way people are reacting? Putting themselves in harm’s way to give others food. Medical workers working all hours to treat and heal. Everyday people working at every essential store as if nothing had changed. All being lauded as heroes for doing what needs to be done. People sharing good news, having dance parties on roofs, figuring out new ways to connect. Creating, sharing, and hoping. The environment is flourishing due to people staying home. Businesses are giving people aid as I’ve never seen before. Heck, even the way people are playing silly games on Facebook with each other.

There’s hope. And with Easter Sunday happening recently, there’s a lot more reason to be hopeful. If Jesus had set fear as His compass, we’d be in a bad way right now. He does not call us to live in fear. He does not want it for us.

So maybe take a break from social media? The news? You know what’s going on at this point. Shelter in place. Social distancing. Masks of whatever variety you choose. Gloves. Essential travel. You could quote it involuntarily, I’m sure.

What is there to see? Another 3rd party article about how we’ll die? Political commentary? Perhaps someone shaming, judging, condemning someone else for their actions being too this or too that?

Nah.

Do whatever you want, I just ask that you think about not setting fear as your compass. And maybe looking forward to hope. And of course, adhere to what the experts have already told you. Which, again, you already know.

As for me? Ashley and I have been simmering some pho for the last 3 hours (which hopefully will be delicious), we’re watching movies and playing games, my dog is delightful (but kinda ridiculous), and we just shared the news that we’ll be having our 1st kid later this year.

There’s a lot to enjoy and look forward to, people.

At least, that’s just what I’ve been mulling over.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Incredibly Stuck

A Crumpled Dixie Cup

What Is The Body?