Three Rings: Marriage


Admittedly when I started writing these blogs it was going to culminate in this post about Ashley’s engagement ring. I was gonna be all about what she means to me, what I was feeling, and what I thought the road ahead was going to contain. Let’s be honest, it was gonna be a sappy mess. No one was gonna be able to handle it.

But here I am some 10ish months later having never written it. And now I’m 6 months into my marriage, and I think I’m finally ready.

It wasn’t that anything I was gonna write was false, or that my plans suddenly changed. It just didn’t quite feel right. Life picked up. And I think I was trying to force the blog into something it wasn’t. Something it never needed to be. Because, you see, I don’t think I was aware of what that ring meant yet.

So now that I’m sitting here, I’d like to share what both Ashley and I’s wedding rings mean to me.

They signify love.

They signify commitment.

They signify growth.

They signify joy.

They signify hard work.

They signify nights spent on the couch.

They signify the difficulty of re-learning.

They signify the courage required to go deep.

They signify difficulty of misaligned expectations.

They signify the happiness of journey, and the hardships of it.

They signify the Father, Son, and Spirit’s movements in our lives.

They signify cooking mostly delicious meals together.

They signify dreaming together, however differently it may look.

The signify me talking in my sleep and stealing the covers.

They signify a dairy-free home.

They signify healthy conflict.

They signify new depths.

They signify healing.

They signify hard conversations.

They signify going to bed early, and waking up before the sun.

They signify edification like I’ve never known.

They signify emotions I’ve never had concepts for.

They signify meandering through antique shops.

They signify challenges overcome and challenges I didn’t see coming.

They signify more support and caring than I imagined.

They signify fresh realizations and discovery.

They signify learning hard truths and working through them.

They signify deeper levels of understanding.

They signify seeing the Father’s face every day in new and different ways.

They signify laugher and they signify tears.

They signify both of us swooning when we see a dog.

They signify re-evaluating my lifelong fashion choices.

They signify unbreakable peace.

They signify exceptional connection.

They signify pioneering in many directions.

They signify understanding I’m not the Myers Briggs I thought I was, and that she definitely is.

They signify a crooked house with a lot of character.

They signify new horizons.

They signify dying to self.

They signify understanding what my needs are, and how I didn’t know they were there.

They signify traveling.

They signify never really understanding La Croix.

They signify the joys of green salsa.

They signify times in libraries and book stores.

They signify podcasts.

They signify wonderfully deep conversations.

They signify love.

They signify the Powell’s.

I could go on, I think. But even then I wouldn’t scratch the surface. These rings more than I could ever divulge, and more than I could ever really know.

Marriage is quite a ride. One I’m so glad I’m on.

So yeah. Those are my three rings. 

.... Well four, I guess. 



Comments

  1. I am SO thankful for you! God’s plans are so right when we jump in that river. Thank you, Seth. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Is The Body?

A Crumpled Dixie Cup

Incredibly Stuck