My 5th Training Camp

I was standing at the campsite, my tent all setup with Ali and Stacy standing nearby. Sara was on the way back from the airport with the Racers.

I thought I was ready.

I had just learned who I would be leading with over the 5 months January, which by the way is an absolutely stellar group of people. I was feeling confident. My people were awesome, and I was going to be with A squad. I knew absolutely nothing about them, but I knew they were going to be here anytime now.

My 5th Training Camp was about to begin, this one a little different from the rest. This Training Camp I was going to be meeting and living with my brand new squad. The one that I’m going to be leading! Going into this Training Camp (TC), I was nervous. I mean, I knew I was supposed to be here. I knew it had to be them. I felt totally at peace with all of my decisions. Even more so when I finally met A squad.

The tent city where we all lived. 
Guys, they’re just great. They’re so cool. So much cooler than I was when I came into my own TC over 2 years ago. They are hilarious, they’re amazing, they’re so many things. But most of all, they’re my people. I have people! I mean, I’ve always had people in various capacities. But these are the people I have the privilege of leading. It’s a little different.

The 10 days both flew by and dragged completely. I’ve never been so exhausted in so many different ways in my life. Utter insanity. I laughed harder than I have in a while, and I cried more than I thought I could. Tears of joy and thankfulness for God having led me to A squad. Tears from the encouragement I received from my peers and from the Father Himself. Tears because I was just so flipping glad to be alive. I’ve blogged about TC worship before, it’s just something else entirely. And this time it was crazier than the rest.

Even with all of the goodness flying around, doubt still managed to creep in. Was I really ready for this? Can I really lead these people? Do I have what it takes? Couple this with a whole bunch of insecurities that flew at me from every direction, and trying to find my own identity in the whirlwind of TC… And you’ve got one potentially messed up dude.

But it’s all ok. It’s all fine. You know why? Because there’s a reason I’m not going out on my own. God is with me, absolutely. But He also saw fit to pair me up with that one of a kind leadership team I mentioned earlier. We had been a trio (four counting Stacy) for all of a day and we already clicked. I’m incredibly thankful for my co-leaders and my fantastic Romanian mentor. They spoke into me, listened to me, joked with me (or endured my joking), and pushed me when I needed to be. Something beautiful in that.

The fantastic team! Ali Watson, Stacy Povian, and Sara Shoup

I overcame my own insecurities and doubts. I cut through the junk and realized so many things about myself. About my leadership style. It was just as much of a chain-breaking, learning week for me as it was for A squad.

It was an absolutely wild 10 days. One I will never forget. With a squad I couldn’t be more excited to spend my time with. While I didn’t get to know each of their life stories by heart or get to know them half as well as I desired, I know I’ve got time. We’re going to be spending a lot of close time in a lot of crazy places. We’ll get to know each other reeeeaaaaal nice.

All this is to say, I’m excited. I’m stoked. And except for some loose ends I’m wrapping up, I’m absolutely ready. A squad, I love you guys more than I thought I could. We’re going to have a great time, don’t even worry about it.

Which brings me to my final point. I’m still fundraising! This should come as no surprise. Part of me wishes I didn’t have to do this. But the rest of me knows how important it is. Not just because I need to get back around the world, but because of the incredible ways God has moved in this way. And now I have an even stronger reason. Beyond my own spiritual growth, or the work to be done abroad…

My strong reason is A squad. It’s for them. I’m no wizard of the faith, or some kind of Christian superhero. But God put our paths together for a reason. And my reason is to lead. I’m doing it for them this time around. They have so much waiting for them around the world, and if I can just help them a little to realize that then it will have all been worth it. My squad leaders meant so much to me when I was on the field. They kicked me when I needed it and taught me how to do things I would’ve never figured out on my own. If I can do even half of what my squad leaders did for me, it will have all been worth it.

The fantastic, amazing, wonderful, super red A Squad!!
So that’s why I need the support! And I have plenty of opportunities for you to partner with me to do it! Please follow the link below if you’re interested in supporting me financially. Also, please check out the other link to see all the wonderful faces of A squad! (Seriously, they’re so cool)

If you’d like to support me prayerfully that would be incredible. I can always use it. But make sure that as you pray for me that you pray for A squad!



Thank you so much for reading!

Squad A, all day.


Comments

  1. Seth, we are SO blessed to have you as our squad leader! Awesome post, absolutely can wait to see how God continues to move.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Is The Body?

A Crumpled Dixie Cup

Redemption?